This article was originally published on February 7, 2020.
Did you know that an estimated six million Semlor are sold in one single day, during Fat Tuesday? If you’ve ever had a semla, this probably doesn’t surprise you the least.
In the past couple of years, bakeries have been getting more innovative with the semla, trying out new recipes and pushing the boundaries for how far and wide the semla can really go. We have tried a lot of semla recipes throughout the years, and have not been disappointed – but this one might just be our favorite.
Let us introduce: The Semmel-Kladdkaka!
Butter: 5.3 oz
Almond paste: 3.5 oz
Cardamom: 2 tsp
Sugar: 1 cup
All-purpose flour: 1 cup
Vanilla sugar: (1 tsp vanilla extract mixed with 1 tsp sugar)
A pinch of salt
- Melt the butter, chop the almond paste and add the cardamom
- Mix together all the ingredients for the cake in a bowl
- Add parchment paper to the bottom of a springform pan with about 20 cm/ 8 inches in diameter. Butter the inside of the pan to prevent the cake from sticking.
- Add the cake batter to the pan and place it in the middle of the oven. Let the cake bake at 175 C or 350 F, for about 20-25 minutes.
- When the cake has finished baking, take it out of the pan and let it cool. Meanwhile, slightly roast the almond flakes in a pan.
- Sprinkle the almond flakes over the cake, add whipped cream on the top and garnish with powdered sugar.
- Guide: Where To Buy Semlor In The U.S. - January 17, 2021
- Norwegian Air cancels all routes between the U.S. and Scandinavia - January 14, 2021
- Zlatan Ibrahimović Returns Amid Milan’s First 20/21 Serie A Loss - January 14, 2021