Today, Iceland proudly celebrates its National Day, an occasion that honors the establishment of the Icelandic Republic in 1944. This exotic Nordic country is renowned for its awe-inspiring landscapes. With its majestic volcanoes, bubbling geysers, rejuvenating hot springs, and mystical lava fields, Iceland beckons to those who seek unparalleled encounters with nature’s wonders.
There are more than just a few reasons to love Iceland but for the sake of your attention span, we’ve compiled a list of ten awe-inspiring facts that make Iceland so lovable.
1. Iceland boasts one of the lowest violent crime rates globally, and its police officers stand out for not carrying guns.
2. It is the 3rd happiest country in the world according to the 2023 World Happiness Report.
3. Around 85 percent of Iceland’s energy comes from renewable resources.
4. Hot springs, volcanoes, and the blue lagoon. Need we say more?
5. In Iceland, it is illegal to own reptiles and the remarkable absence of snakes in the Icelandic fauna adds to the country’s unique natural landscape.
6. Iceland is one of the world’s oldest democracies; established in 930.
7. Iceland was the first country to elect a female president.
8. There are no mosquitos in Iceland.
9. 80% of Icelanders believe elves exist. Buildings have been redesigned or abandoned to respect and preserve the supposed dwelling places of these mystical beings within rocks.
10. Iceland plants more trees per capita than any other nation in the world.
This article was originally published on April 23, 2018 and has since been updated.