Scandinavians love their hot dogs. All throughout the region, you will see hot dog stands at every corner, many open till late at night on weekends to accommodate the party crowds before they head home. Every country has a slightly different variation of the hot dog, with the Danes, for example, calling it “rød pølse” which is slightly different from the Swedish “varmkorv“.
We stumbled upon this recipe of the classic Swedish “korv med mos”, sausage with mash on A Swede in the Kitchen’s website, who gracefully let us borrow her recipe.
This might be one of the most popular versions of the Swedish hot dog, served in a flatbread with mash potatoes, shrimp salad, and roasted onions. Scroll all the way down to watch a video of Anthony Bourdain calling the dish, “the finest and the best thing he has ever had in his life“.
Hotdog & Mashed Potato Wraps
Directions; 4 serv.
- 4-8 Hotdogs (1-2 per person depending on how many you can eat). Boiled or fried.
- 4 Wraps, tortillas or thin-breads (just make sure you use the larger version).
- 1 cup thinly shredded Iceberg lettuce.
- 3-4 cups of Mashed Potatoes.
- 3/4-1 cup Cucumber & Mayo dressing (optional). See recipe below.
- 3/4 – 1 cup Shrimp salad (optional). See recipe below.
- Pepper to taste.
- BBQ spice, Steak rub spice or Hot sauce to taste (optional).
- Dried onions (optional).
- Finely chopped or sliced vegetables are optional.
Cucumber & Mayo dressing.
- 1/3 cup mayo.
- 2/3 cup Sweet Cucumber relish.
Mix the mayo and Sweet Cucumber relish together well. Season with some black pepper to taste.
- 1/2 lb. (250 gr.) Shrimp. Any kind. Cooked and peeled. Lightly chopped.
- 1/2 cup mayo.
- 1/4 cup Creme fraiche or sour cream.
- 2 tbsp. Dijon mustard.
- 1 tbsp. chopped fresh Dill.
- 1 tbsp. chopped fresh Chives.
- Pepper to taste.1 tbsp. shredded Horseradish (optional).
- 1-2 tbsp. Ketchup (optional).
- 1-2 tbsp. Paprika powder (optional).
Mix all the ingredients together well.
If you want the salad to have a more “Rhode Island sauce” base, add the ketchup and paprika. If not, just exclude that.
The horseradish is very potent and it might be too strong for some. Use with caution.
Prepare your homemade-, instant- or store-bought mashed potatoes.
Finely slice the lettuce and other vegetables that you would like to add to your wrap.
Slightly warm the bread in a frying pan, griddle or in the oven. Just a few seconds for it to be more smooth to wrap.
Add 2-3 scoops of mashed potatoes vertically onto the bread. Make sure not to place it too far down onto the bread.
Add the shredded lettuce, dressings and vegetables as well. Place one or two hotdogs on top of the mashed potatoes. Add pepper and other spices all over as desired.
Make sure not to fill the wraps too full, or you will have a hard time to wrap it all together.
To wrap it up, first, lift up the bottom part of the bread and then turn one of the sides over the bottom fold-over, then tightly roll it together.
Wrap some parchment paper around the roll as a cover to prevent the filling from falling out.
Anthony Bourdain trying out a tunnbrödrulle
“Hope you will enjoy this just as much as he did.” – A Swede in the Kitchen
This article was originally published on January 13, 2020.
- What is Hygiene of Sweden really all about? - October 23, 2020
- These are the best new hotels in Scandinavia, according to National Geographic - October 22, 2020
- 11 Nordic photographers, you should follow on Instagram - October 21, 2020