Fat Tuesday or ‘semmeldagen’ is less than a month away, and we are counting down the days.
We came across this amazing recipe of semla cake pops from the Swedish baker Linn Cecilia, aka Fröken Frosting. Give her a follow on Instagram for more recipes and cute pictures of Swedish desserts.
A perfect way to enjoy the flavors of a semla in just one bite!
Makes 12-14 pops
• Two cardamom buns
• Almond paste
• Cake pop sticks
• Whipped cream
• Chopped peeled almonds
• Icing sugar
1. Grate or tear both buns into small pieces in a bowl.
2. Start off with about 3 tbs of whipped cream and mix it in together with the torn buns. Use your hands for mixing. The mixture should be wet and formable but not too wet or runny. If it’s too firm, mix in more of the whipped cream.
3. Now you should have a mixture that you can easily form. Make 12-14 even balls and place them on a tray with baking paper in your fridge. Let them sit for at least 1 hour.
4. While the pops are resting you can put about 4 dl of whipped cream in a piping bag with a nozzle of your choice. Place in the fridge.
5. Take out the balls, one by one to keep them chilled, and cut off the top, the shape a little “hat” (about 1/5 of the total height), and save that for later. With a small tool – a knife or whatever works for you, scoop out a little bit of the ball in the center of the ball, right where you cut off the hat, and save for late. Place the ball and the “hat” in the fridge. Repeat with the rest of the balls.
6. Use the dough that you scooped out of the ball and mix it with almond paste. How much almond paste you want to use is entirely up to you. I love almond paste so for me it’s 50/50. After mixing everything together take out the balls from the fridge and one by one, start filling the little hollows with the almond paste mix.
7. Take your cake pop sticks and stick it through from underneath (so that your filled in hallows face upwards) about 1/2 of the ball with the hat cut off. Super important that the balls are chilled when you do this, otherwise they could fall off!
8. Now it’s time to add the cream! Take your piping bag and pipe on top of your cake pop. I like to pipe 2/3 the height of the ball.
9. Place the hats on top of your piped cream. Take your chopped peeled almonds and sprinkle them around the edges of the cream. Strain icing sugar on top and you’re done!!
These yummies should be stored in the fridge, and they last for about 4-5 days. But don’t worry about that. You’ll probably finish them all by the end of the day!
/ Linn Cecilia – Fröken Frosting
This article was originally published January 31, 2022 and has since been updated.